What’s better than (almost) free ornaments? Nothing, that’s what. This year for Christmas we are having to do without our usual ornaments to decorate our tree because we recently moved and everything is in storage :(
Despite the lack of the glittery, glass ornaments that we put up every year, we are going to make the best of what we have. And I’ll be darned if we don’t decorate!
This project started out as just making something to hang on the tree. I wasn’t expecting a whole lot, but these ornaments turned out so cool! Taking pine cones and acorns from our yard and coating them with a bit of metallic spray paint turned ordinary yard debris into unique, elegant, and fun ornaments! All we needed to pay for was the can of spray paint and ribbon! These ornaments will definitely join the usual suspects once we get them out of storage.
What you will need:
- Pine cones and/or acorns that are clean of any dirt or bugs
- Metallic silver spray paint
- Thin ribbon
- Hot glue gun
- 3D glittery snow flake stickers or other embellishment (optional)
- Spread your acorns and pine cones outside on a surface that can get covered in paint. I recommend laying down newspaper or something similar.
- Spray each pine cone/acorn individually, getting paint in every crevice. I used a stick to help hold and turn everything so that I didn’t coat my hand in paint. Allow it all to dry, probably about 3-4 hours depending on how cold/humid it is outside.
- Meanwhile, cut about 4 inch pieces of ribbon, one for each pine cone or acorn.
- Once everything is dry, bring it inside and hot glue a piece of ribbon to the top of each ornament in a loop so that it can hang from your tree.
- Now this is when you would glue on any embellishments you have. I bought some little snow flake stickers from the scrapbooking section at the craft store and glued them at the base of the ribbon. Let the glue dry for a few minutes and then your ornaments are ready to hang!
Kitty Cat Measuring Cups $34.99- How cute are these? I love to cook and bake… and I LOVE cats, so these are on my wish list, for sure. Made from ceramic, there is a kitty for 1 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/3 cup, and 1/4 cup measurements.
Spike Bib Necklace from BCBGMAXAZRIA $128- This beautiful bib necklace would be perfect with an LBD (like the one pictured from BCBG!) for a holiday party outfit, or even a plain T to dress up a casual everyday outfit.
Christian Louboutin Astrogirl $895- I have yet to get a pair of Louboutins (I love every pair I see, but can’t afford any! Le sigh), but these are awesome. Made in Italy, these are patent leather pumps with pink, gold, white, and orange overlays. And of course, the signature red leather sole. Drool.
Sundial Earrings from Lele Sadoughi $165- These earrings are 14 karat gold plated with square cut crystals, enamel, and a stone cabochon in the center. I love the colors and the art-deco feel that these have!
Delphine Pleated Cutout-Back Dress from BCBGMAXAZRIA $338- This is the LBD I want for this season! I like how it’s sweet and girly because of the bow and pleats, but the fabric has a nice texture to give it some edge. I think it’s meant to be a bridesmaid’s dress, but I would totally wear this to holiday parties.
Marc by Marc Jacobs Ladies Mini Amy Watch MBM1227 from Market Cross Jewellers SALE $201.97- I have been wanting a nice watch lately, and this one is one of my favorites out there. Rose gold is so beautiful- and the black makes this watch so classy and timeless.
I am ashamed to admit that before I bought this face lotion, I didn’t use a moisturizer on a regular basis. To my defense, though, I had been trying all different ones and just wasn’t happy with any of them! I have a hard time classifying my skin type… it’s oily in some spots but gets super dry when I use anything so combat the oil. It’s also very sensitive and breaks out easily, so I didn’t know what to use. I was pretty much about to give up on finding a good moisturizer that worked for me (and that I could afford!) until I tried Eucerin Daily Protection SPF 30 Moisturizing Face Lotion. I use Eucerin products on my body, and I love them for their moisturizing lotions that sooth my dry skin (especially during the winter)… so, why not on my face?
When I applied the face lotion, my skin immediately drank it up. There was no greasiness or heaviness and it left my skin looking fresh. I am in love with the light-weight formula because it provides moisture without making my skin break out or feel oily! Plus, we all know how important it is to protect our skin from the sun- so the broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection is awesome. I’ve bought sunscreen that is oil-free and specifically for your face in the past, but I still get irritated by it. Not this!
This product is also fragrance-free and non-comedogenic, meaning it won’t block pores. Not to mention, it won the Allure 2012 Best of Beauty Award!
Note: I am in no way in touch with Eucerin, this review is simply about a product that I honestly use and love. All opinions are my own!
The perfect amount to cover my face and neck!
Paint pens are my new favorite nail art tool! Seriously, why did I not think of this sooner?!
Anyway, coral and gold is one of my absolute favorite color-combos. The two colors together always makes me think of warm sunshine, which makes it a good summer-time manicure… but I love it in the winter to remind me that the cold weather doesn’t last forever! Here I used the combo to make a half-moon mani.
For the base color, I used Maybelline Color Show in Orange Fix. The paint pen is just a metallic gold acrylic paint pen which can be found at craft stores or in the craft section at Walmart.
And, of course, I used my fav base and top coat polishes!
Start off by painting two coats of the coral polish. Be sure to let each layer dry thoroughly before applying the next one. This ensures even drying and no bubbles or gloppy-ness!
Using the paint pen, draw a half-circle at the base of your nails. Fill in the outline. Allow to dry completely for applying a shiny top coat.
See? Nails that radiate sunshine!
Hello everyone! Today I wanted to share some of my favorite items from pinkintokyo.com. PINK IN TŌKYŌ is an awesome website where you can find fabulous and totally unique clothes, shoes, and accessories… and don’t forget, Style Bento readers can use an exclusive code for 10% off their order! Just type STYLEBENTO10 when checking out. This code never expires and can be used as many times as you want, so share it with your friends and send them on over to do some shopping!
- Cindy Flare Faux Skirt- White Red $33 I have been looking for a cute and affordable leather skirt for a while now, and I just love this one! Oxblood is definitely a favorite for fall and winter, making this a great skirt to wear with some opaque tights and stacked-heel booties.
- Baroque Leggings- White $32 I love the icy white of these leggings! This is a great way to wear white in winter, and these leggings can easily be dressed up or down with just a change of shoes and accessories.
- Living Color Jumpsuit $50 This jumpsuit makes me so happy just looking at it! The color is great and will work on pretty much every skin tone. Plus, this piece is an easy one to wear year-round depending on how you layer it.
- Empire Romper- Beige $83 A lacy romper is actually a great staple to have in your wardrobe. It can be worn like a simple white shirt, with a blazer, statement accessories, or even with a skirt layered over it!
- Embroidered Flower Shirt- White $44 Like the romper, this shirt is an updated version of a plain white button-down. Because of the embroidery, though, it’s much more interesting and fun!
- Night Nurse Platforms $66 These are so cool! I love them with ankle jeans like in the picture, but they would also be really cute with a flared skirt (see the first item).
- Thelma Zip Up Booties- Black $58 Black booties are one of my must-haves for fall and winter. I love these because they are sleek and feminine, but still edgy.
- Diamonds Are Forever- Camel $73 Another great pair of ankle booties! This pair is great to have because they can easily be worn with bare legs because the camel color acts like a nude shoe, which elongates legs.
- Three French Hens Holiday Card Set from Kate Spade- These cards are so simple but so cute! I love a good hand-written card, so I want these to send my Holiday well-wishes to my friends and family.
- Cambridge Satchel Company Clutch in Bellflower Blue- The Cambridge Satchel Company is one of my favorite bag companies! They make awesome, high-quality, and classic bags. They recently came out with a smaller version of their classic satchel- the clutch! The color is so refreshing and fun, making it perfect for carrying my essentials when I’m out and about.
- Kate Spade New York Greenwich Grove Tea Set from Nordstrom- I am a tea junkie- I drink at least 3 cups a day. This tea set is sweet and classic, but still modern and chic at the same time. Leave it to Kate Spade to make such a great set!
- Brightspot Avenue Debra leather agenda from Kate Spade- I am the type of person that HAS to write everything down, make lists, and schedule everything. This hot pink leather agenda to so chic and luxurious feeling… a great way to start off being organized in 2014!
- Bow Push Pins from Kate Spade- Can you tell I’m on a Kate Spade kick right now? These push pins are adorable- I mean come on?! They would be a welcome addition to my cork board near my desk to bring some whimsy and inspiration.
- Bow Paper Clips from Kate Spade- I feel like I need to make bow paper clips my “signature thing” when handing in assignments. So cute.
- Crunch Bunch 2 Piece Feeding Set from Kate Spade- I’m pretty sure these are meant for little kids… but I really don’t care. Having my fork and spoon smile at me is too awesome. I mean, the fork has eyelashes. And I LOVE the turquoise handles!
- Dictionary iPad Folio from Kate Spade- This iPad folio is so awesome! The leather is so luxe, and it folds to prop the iPad up for easy movie-watching!
- Things We Love Coffee Table Book from Kate Spade- I feel like it’s time I get my first coffee table book… even though I don’t have my own coffee table. I just love the style and cheekiness of Kate Spade, so a book filled with “things they love”?! Perfection.
- Umbrella from Kate Spade- I hate rainy days, but I feel like this umbrella would make them much more fun!
What is on your Holiday wish list?
I recently picked up a bottle of Sally Hansen Fuzzy Coat in Tweedy because it looked really fun! The Fuzzy Coat line has a total of 8 colors… and I have to admit, it was really hard for me to pick which one to buy first. I chose Tweedy because I figured it would go with everything, and it reminded me a bit of houndstooth, which is a huge trend for fall and winter! I plan on going back to the store and getting a bottle in every color very soon, though!
Before I painted on Fuzzy Coat, I gave my nails a swipe of white polish to use as a base. For me, I used two coats of the Fuzzy Coat polish to get a really thick and concentrated amount of “fuzz”. It goes on really easily and the little particles distribute quite well compared to other nail polishes I’ve used that have glitter. It also dries quickly, which I LOVE because I have no patience when it comes to letting my nails dry.
My one and only complaint (and it’s not even really a complaint!) is that the “fuzz” tends hang off the edge of your nail (as you can see in the picture below), but I found that once it’s completely dry, you can lightly file or clip the extras off before applying a top coat. It’s also a bit hard to take off, like any nail polish with particles in it. But after a little extra time and nail polish remover, it’s fine!
Overall, I LOVE Sally Hansen Fuzzy Coat Textured Nail Color! I can’t wait to try the other 7 shades!