For some reason when Fall comes around, I tend to lean towards vintage-looking accessories to complete my outfits. This necklace idea is super easy and inexpensive to make and it has a cute vintage vibe, making it a perfect DIY for this season. Hope you enjoy!
What you will need:
- Vintage keys (I found mine at a flea market, but Etsy has a lot to choose from!)
- Nail polish (you can use any colors you like. I used Revlon 043 Forbidden and 261 Sparkling)
- Wax-coated twine
- Small beads
- Embroidery/friendship bracelet floss
Wipe the keys that you are using with some wipes to get any dirt off of them. Now, paint your base coat, covering the top part of the key on both sides (be sure to let one side dry completely before flipping over to paint the other).
Apply the glitter polish and let dry completely.
To make the necklace:
1. Cut three strands of the twine (about 36 inches each). Tie the three strands together at one end.
2. Measure about 10 inches down from the top knot that you made and make another knot.
3. Braid the twine for about an inch, then start adding beads as you braid (it’s pretty much an adaptation of my beaded wrap bracelet instructions). I used 10 beads.
4. Braid for another inch without the beads again. Tie another knot at the end of the braid so it doesn’t unravel.
5. Now, measure about 5 inches, make another knot and do steps 3 and 4 again.
6. Untie the very fist knot that you made in step 1 (its at the very end of the twine strands).
7. Measure 10 inches from the final knot in step 5. This is the other end of the necklace, so you can cut off any excess twine after this point. Tie the two ends of the necklace together.
8. To get the key onto the necklace, pinch the middle of the 5 inch gap between the braids and put it through the hole of the key to make a loop. Thread the back knot of the necklace through the loop and pull until the key is knotted onto the necklace.
To make the green key necklace all you need to do is cut two (40 inch) strands of wax-coated twine and two (40 inch) strands of hot pink floss. Tie all of the strands together at one end. Braid the entire length of the strands, using the 2 hot pink floss strands as one thicker strand. Finish with another knot. Thread the key onto the braided necklace. Carefully untie the knots that you made and then tie all of the strands together into one knot.